This hearty whole grain muffin freezes well for a quick breakfast on the run.
Bonus points if you made your own applesauce and use Farmer Dave’s honey!
Makes 12 muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats, plus 2 tablespoons for garnish
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted if necessary
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, plus 2 tablespoons for garnish
- 1/2 cup raisins (Ginger uses a combination of chopped cranberries, figs, dates, nuts or whatever she has on hand.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, 1/2 cup oats, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and allspice in a medium bowl.
- Whisk eggs, applesauce, honey and vanilla in a large bowl. Whisk in coconut oil. Gently stir in the flour mixture just until moistened. Fold in carrots, 1/2 cup coconut and raisins.
- Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons each oats and coconut.
- Bake the muffins until they spring back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with only moist crumbs attached, 30 to 35 minutes. Let stand in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature