Farm Stand Supervisor
Farmer Dave’s is seeking a hardworking, highly organized, adaptable, and motivating individual to supervise and help drive the retail sales of one of our 3 farm stands while creating and ensuring a “Farmer Dave’s” approved customer experience and veg –ucation.
We are a 100 acre diversified vegetable and fruit farm in Dracut, including satellite fields, greenhouses and an orchard in Tewksbury and Westford, Ma. We offer our produce through our 3 farm stands, our CSA, which has grown to over 1200 members and serves fourteen communities in the Greater Boston area, several farmer’s markets and we offer produce to limited wholesale markets and restaurants. Although we are a small farm, a “go big, or go home” attitude will serve you well. We are not certified organic, but use organic methods. If you have a “duck on water” work ethic, enjoy the challenge of many moving pieces, and geek out a bit about feeding people only the most nutritious vegetables and fruits, as well as building sales through a great experience , you may be just who we are looking for. The Farm Stand Supervisor will work under the direction of the Retail Operations Manager to ensure our busy Farm Stand is inviting and welcoming for our customers and CSA members alike. The Farm Stand Supervisor will lead members of the Farm Stand team in the set-up, running and closing of the stand, assisting the Retail Operations Manager to ensure that all team tasks are completed efficiently and correctly, while maintaining a positive and supportive work environment for team members.
The Farm Stand Supervisor will be responsible for:
- Leading the Farm Stand team in daily set up and closing of the stand, ringing up sales, making and maintaining displays, stocking, grading and packing produce for sale, helping with the wash and prep of vegetables, and other tasks as needed, all the while ensuring that tasks are completed correctly, efficiently, and safely.
- Keeping the displays and farm stand clean and inviting
- Maintaining the exterior of the farm stand, seasonal flowers, the herb and flower gardens watered and in neat order
- Keeping the stock rooms/coolers orderly and clean.
- Training new team members, including teaching them proper set up techniques, vegetable handing, and customer experience skills.
- Working with the Retail Operations Manager to prioritize tasks, bearing in mind daily retail needs, promotions, signage, crop issues, weather, and other pertinent factors.
- Communicating with the field team and other managers about the daily inventory needs to ensure proper display set up and inventory levels to drive sales.
- Communicating and clarifying to the Farm Stand team any pertinent information from the Retail Operations Manager or other managers about changes in produce availability or crop issues, or any other information that needs to be communicated to the customers i.e.: new products, special sales, promotions, or upcoming events.
- Handling the flow of CSA members and customers during the weekly CSA pick up. This includes the additional CSA set up, pick up procedures and break down.
- Coordinating Farm Stand team lunch breaks.
- Maintaining a safe work environment, including reinforcing Farmer Dave’s policies as laid out in the employee handbook.
- Partnering with the Retail Operations Manager as it relates to inventory management and sales reporting.
This position is a full-time/seasonal hourly position. The Farm Stand Supervisor will be expected to work on average 40 hours per week for the 34 weeks (April-December) that the Farm Stand is open.
- The expectation is that during the peak season (June – Nov) these hours may reach 45 to 50 hours if the business dictates or coverage is needed. These are estimations of times and hours and may change based on weather, and business needs. Exact start days will depend on the circumstances of the season, weather, and the requirements of the farm.
- Working weekends and holidays are required. These are our busiest days.
- In the early and late parts of the season (Mid-May through Mid-June) and (Mid-October through early December) the Farm Stand Supervisor may be working alone. Starting in Mid-May as the selection of produce increases along with the Farm Stand traffic there may be one team member working under the Farm Stand Supervisor. This may increase to up to three or four team members at a time as the season goes on.
- Daily Farm Stand hours are shorter in the early season and increase during the main season
- Experience in customer service and a sincere enjoyment of working with customers, our neighbors and members
- Excellent communications and time management skills
- An entrepreneurial spirit and interest in driving top line sales
- Ability to quickly pick up new concepts and techniques, and then teach them to others
- Valid drivers’ license
- Ability to lift 50lbs repeatedly
- Friendly, helpful demeanor
- An interest in local and organic food
- Ability to work well in a team atmosphere
- Experience with Apple products (iPad and square), excel, data entry, and money handling a plus
To apply, please email your resume, cover letter, and application to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Farm Stand, Farmers Markets, Packing Area, and Field Staff for the 2017 Season
We will be posting specific opportunities as they become available. In the meantime, if you would like to fill out an application, you can download one and send it to jobs @ farmerdaves.net or mail it to Farmer Dave’s, Attn: Denise Lee, 437 Parker Road, Dracut MA 01826.
Interested in getting volunteering with the CSA and getting a CSA share?
We are looking to fill volunteer CSA distribution positions for the 2017 CSA season at the following pick-up locations:
- Check back soon for locations and times!
Individuals will help out with all aspects of CSA distribution on a specific location’s pick-up day and time.
CSA Distribution responsibilities include:
- Setting up and/or breaking down the distribution area at the CSA distribution site
- Setting up check-in table, chairs, and other equipment as needed
- Unloading produce and boxed shares off truck and counting shares
- Displaying produce and signage on tables
- Loading empty crates onto truck
- Storing returned, empty crates after CSA distribution
- Putting away table, chairs, and consolidating unclaimed shares to be donated
- Greeting CSA members, sharing information regarding “What’s in your Share” this week
- Maintaining weekly records
- Receiving and recording payments (minimal)
- Occasional meetings
- Ability to maintain good communication with the farm
- Ability to lift 30lbs easily and frequently. Ability to lift 50 pounds or more is a plus.
- Good organizational skills
- A friendly, open personality and willingness to engage with CSA members
- Dependable and reliable
What do I get?
Volunteers will receive a “regular”-sized vegetable share and fruit share from our CSA.
How Do I Apply?
If you are interested in a volunteer position, please fill out an application and e-mail it to email@example.com, or mail it to Farmer Dave’s, attn: Bethany Bellingham, 437 Parker Road, Dracut, MA 01826.