Garlic Scape Pesto
- 1 bunch garlic scapes, flower removed and sliced into manageable pieces.
- 1/4 cup walnuts, pine nuts, roasted almonds or pistachios. I think the walnuts balance nicely with the garlic flavor while pine nuts can be lost.
- 1/4 cup or more olive oil or walnut oil
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper
- In a food processor pulse together the garlic scapes and nuts until chopped into small pieces. With the motor running gradually add the oil in a thin stream until the desired consistency is reached. Blend in parmesan cheese, salt & pepper to taste adding more oil if necessary.
- Serve on pasta, potatoes or spread on crostini.
This makes a great creamy pesto. Add a large spoonful to the bottom of a bowl while your pasta is cooking. When the pasta is done ladle a spoonful of the pasta water into the bowl with the pesto and stir well. The starch from the pasta water gives the pesto a creamy quality without any cream.