Ginger’s Shaved Summer Squash and Herb salad with Hazelnuts
Wondering how Ginger has been doing on maternity leave? Apparently (un)cooking some delicious salads! The family is doing great, and Ginger will be returning the farm part-time this week, working on some behind the scenes stuff, like planning our annual potluck!
Serves 4 as a side or 2 as a lunch
- 4 assorted summer squash and/or zucchini
- 1 handful parsley, chopped
- 1 handful basil, chopped
- 1 handful arugula, torn into pieces (optional)
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts (or almonds)
- Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 1 lemon
- 2-3 Tablespoons hazelnut oil ( olive oil would work but the hazelnut paired really nicely)
- 1 garlic scape, minced (I threw it in the food processor) or 1 garlic clove
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lettuce (optional)
1) Cut the ends off the squash. Using a vegetable peeler or mandolin shave into ribbons working from each side towards the center and discarding the core.
2) In a large bowl toss squash ribbons with parsley, basil and the zest of one lemon.
3) In a small bowl whisk together the juice of one lemon with hazelnut oil, garlic and salt and pepper to taste.
4) Pour marinade over squash, toss thoroughly and let sit for 30 minutes.
5) Meanwhile, toast hazelnuts (you can find a few ways to toast hazelnuts here). When cool, chop into small pieces.
6) Before serving, toss arugula with squash.
7) Serve topped with toasted nuts and shaved Parmesan as a side or on a bed of lettuce for a lunch salad.