Adapted by Farmer Dave’s from Epicurious
- 8-10 ounces potatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 medium parsnips (1 lb total), peeled and coarsely grated
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- Accompaniment: applesauce and/or sour cream
Preheat oven to 250°F.
Peel potato and coarsely grate into a bowl. Add lemon juice and toss to combine. Place potato on towel, then gather up corners to form a sack and twist tightly to wring out as much liquid as possible. Stir potato together with parsnips, flour, eggs, chives, salt, and pepper until combined well.
Heat oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking. Fill a 1/4-cup measure three-fourths full with latke mixture and carefully spoon it into skillet, then flatten to 3 inches in diameter with a slotted spatula. Form 3 more latkes in skillet, then cook until golden, about 1 1/2 minutes on each side. Transfer latkes with spatula to paper towels to drain. Keep warm on a rack set in a shallow baking pan in oven. Make more latkes in same manner, in batches of 4, with remaining mixture.