Sarah’s Italian Sweet and Savory Squash Bowls
- 2 small to medium acorn or carnival squash (the halves should be the size of a small bowl)16 ounces
- Italian turkey sausage (or any Italian sausage meat or meat substitute)
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian herb mix (dried oregano, thyme, basil, parsley – use fresh if you have it!)
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1/4 cup reconstituted sundried tomatoes or roasted tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup drained canned or jarred artichoke hearts, chopped
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach (red russian kale or swiss chard work equally well)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, sliced into thin ribbons
- Salt and pepper as needed
- Fresh whole wheat bread crumbs
- Wash, halve, and scrape the inside of the squash. Place the squash in a microwave safe shallow dish with a little water (about half an inch deep). Microwave on high for 7-10 minutes or until tender. Leave in microwave until ready to use.
- In a large saute pan fry crumbled turkey sausage, olive oil, onions, garlic, red pepper flakes, and dry herbs on medium heat. When sausage is almost cooked through add chopped roasted red peppers, sundried tomatoes, and artichoke hearts. Cook with turkey until turkey is cooked through. Add 1/4 cup water if it seems dry. Add spinach and toss gently until spinach is wilted. Toss in the fresh basil. Taste for seasoning and salt as needed. Remove from heat.
- Place squash halves on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Mound the filling into squash halves and sprinkle with a pinch of black pepper. Add one tablespoon of water to each squash. Coat the filled squash with fresh breadcrumbs and sprinkle with a thick layer of grated cheese.
- Broil just until cheese is lightly browned.