Adapted by Farmer Dave’s from Better Homes and Gardens
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 3 cups reduced sodium-chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ounces Yukon gold potatoes, quartered
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups fresh greens, such as elegance mix, spicy baby mix, or a combination of spinach and arugula.
- 2 cups fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley leaves and tender stems
- Fresh arugula
In 3-quart saucepan cook onion in hot oil over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add broth, pepper, and salt. Bring to boiling. Add potatoes and return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in large skillet cook mushrooms in butter over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes until tender and liquid has evaporated; set aside.
Remove saucepan from heat. Use immersion blender to blend onion-potato mixture until almost smooth. Add greens and parsley. Return to heat. Bring to boiling; remove from heat. Using immersion blender, puree soup again until nearly smooth and flecks of green remain. Season to taste with salt. Serve immediately topped with sauteed mushrooms and fresh arugula.
Makes 6 side-dish servings.