Adapted by Farmer Dave’s from Eating Well
(and with meatless inspiration from the Vegan Homemade blog)
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil*
- 1 pound sirloin steak or strip steak (1-1 1/4 inches thick), trimmed*
- 6 ounces wide rice noodles
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons fish sauce*
- 2 Tablespoons sugar or to taste
- 4 cups shredded napa cabbage & baby asian greens like bok choy or tatsoi
- 1 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1 cup slivered fresh basil and/or mint
1/2 cup finely chopped unsalted, lightly roasted peanuts
- Heat oil in a large skillet, preferably cast-iron, over medium-high heat until shimmering. Reduce heat to medium, add steak and cook, turning once, until cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest on a clean cutting board for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook rice noodles until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes or according to the package directions. Drain the noodles and rinse under cold water.
- Whisk vinegar, fish sauce and sugar to taste in a large bowl until the sugar is dissolved. Slice the steak into thin matchsticks. Add the steak and any accumulated juice to the bowl along with the noodles, cabbage, carrot, radishes, basil and/or mint and peanuts; toss to combine. Serve immediately.
* Ginger substituted olive oil, tempeh, and vegetarian fish sauce in this recipe.
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 Tbs sherry
- 2 Tbs soy sauce
- 1 tsp vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbs tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Slice tempeh into thin strips.
- Whisk together marinade ingredients, submerge tempeh and marinate for 30 minutes.
- Pan fry strips according to Steak Bun recipe.