- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus oil to finish
- 1 onion, sliced a scant 1/2 inch thick
- 1 large clove garlic, thinly sliced (or 1 garlic scape)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano or marjoram
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini, cut into logs 1 1/2 – 2 inches long
- Sea salt and fresh pepper
- 8 chard leaves, stems removed and leaves coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup water or stock
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Choose a good sized wide pan with a tight-fitting lid. Heat the oil over medium heat, add the onion, garlic, and half of the oregano, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the zucchini, stir about to coat with the oil, and season with pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Lay the charge over the squash and season it with a few pinches of salt. Add the water, cover the pan, and lower the heat.
- Cook gently until the zucchini is tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove the lid, stir the chard into the squash- gently so you don’t smash it- and add the remaining oregano. Re-cover and cook for another few minutes. Taste for salt and pepper, drizzle with oil, and serve. Accompany with lemon wedges.