From CSA Member Joseph Cantor
– 2 cups cold water
– filtered or bottled is best
– 1/3 cup white wine vinegar (avoid balsamic or other vinegars, they just don’t work as well)
– 1 tsp sugar - 2 Tbsp pickling/Canning salt - a handful of peppercorns
– ground pepper to taste
– 3 cloves garlic chopped rough
– Several sprigs of fresh dill
– Canning jars or mason jars or even plastic zip
1. Mix water, vinegar, salt and sugar in a bowl. Make sure the sugar and salt is mostly dissolved
2. Wash and slice 2 medium sized cucumbers (or 1 really large one)
3. Arrange cucumber slices in your container of choice (I like to use canning jars)
4. Add liquid from above and a portion of the peppercorns, ground pepper, garlic and dill to each container
5. Refrigerate . The pickles will be ready to begin eating the next day if you like mild flavor, otherwise the flavor will intesify each day you leave them in the frig.
Feel free to add other spices to the mix, such as red pepper flakes for a spicy pickle, Basil or even cloves make for interesting flavors as well.