From CSA Member Joseph Cantor
This is a variation of a recipe from epicurious.com, that turns eggplant into sweet/salty potato chip substitutes.
6 tablespoons of confectioners sugar
6 tablespoons of cornstarch1 cup breadcrumbs (Panko or italian – the panko works better)
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1 eggplant (any kind works well)
3-4 cups vegetable oil
1. In a shallow wide bowl stir together sugar, cornstarch, salt, and breadcrumbs.
2. Fill a heavy 10-12 inch (cast iron) skillet halfway with oil and heat to 360 degrees. I actually use an electric fryer which works great.
3. Slice the eggplant into paper thin slices
4. Dredge each slice into the coating, covering both sides and shaking off excess
5. Gently lay slices into the oil, 4-5 pieces at a time, do not over crowd the pan!
6. Fry for 1-2 minutes per side till a little darker then golden brown
7. Allow to cool to room temperature and the slices will crisp as they cool.