from “Vegan Soul Kitchen” by Bryant Terry
– 2 large fresh beets, peeled, roots trimmed, and coarsely grated
– 2 large firm apples, such as Cortland and Granny Smith, cored, peeled and coarsely grated
– 2 cups apple juice
– 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
– 1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
– 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
– Freshly ground white pepper
– 1/2 cup currants
Combine the shredded beets and apples in a large bowl. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring the apple juice to a boil and reduce the juice to a little less than 1/2 cup, about 15 minutes. Transfer 1 tablespoon of the reduced apple juice to an upright blender (reserve the rest for another dish or dilute with water and drink).
Make the vinaigrette by adding the apple cider vinegar and salt to the blender and blending while slowly pouring in the olive oil. Season with white pepper to taste.
Add currants and the dressing to the bowl with the beets and apples and massage with clean hands until well dressed, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve.