Recipe courtesy of Donna, CSA Member
– 4 Thai Kermit Eggplants (wash trim, cut into eights, salt for at least 1/2 hour to remove some bitterness – later wipe off some of the salt before using)
– 1 large zucchini – sliced ¼ inch thick or so circles and cut in half
– A bag of pinto beans (shelled)
– 2 cloves of garlic sliced
– 1 small onion chopped
– 1 pound of ground beef (I seasoned the beef with Benson’s Masterpiece Seasoning – with no salt )
– 2 cans of chopped tomatoes (I like Trader Joe’s no salt added)
– 1 can of water w/Trader Joe’s liquid chicken bullion
(or can of chicken broth)
– 1 cup of brown rice
Add more or less or whatever you have or like!
In a large pan with a little oil sauté two sliced up cloves of garlic and the onion until tender. Add in ground beef and brown, Remove from pan and save. Add a little more oil and sauté up the eggplants until just tender. Remove and save. Add a little more oil and sauté the zucchini for a few minutes. Return beef and veggies to the pan. Add in the water/broth and a can of tomatoes. Stir in the brown rice, add the beans and the other can of tomatoes. Mix well to cover rice and beans with liquid. Bring to boil, cover, turn down to a simmer and cook for at least 45 min, until beans and rice are cooked. Uncover, stir and cook about 10 mini more. Season to taste. Serve with crusty bread or roll. Makes 4-8 servings. Freezes and reheats well.