adapted from “Clean Food” by Terri Walters
* 1 large butternut squash (or buttercup squash, or sugar pumpkin)
* 1 large yellow onion, chopped
* 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
* 4 large apples, peeled, cored and quartered
* 4 cups vegetable stock
* 1 cup rice milk
* 1/4 cup coconut milk
* 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Peel squash, cut in half and remove seeds. Cut into 2-inch pieces.
In a large pot over medium heat, saute onion in oil until soft (about 5 minutes). Add squash, apples, stock, rice milk, coconut milk and nutmeg. Cover, bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until squash is soft. Puree with handheld blender and remove from heat to cool slightly. Season to taste with salt and serve.