Recipe from 101 Cookbooks
- 3 medium cucumbers, partially peeled
- 1-2 green serrano chiles, stemmed and minced
- 1/2 cup / 2.5 ounces / 70 g peanuts, toasted
- 1/3 cup / 1.5 ounces / 45 g dried large-flake coconut, toasted
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon natural cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon ghee, clarified butter, or sunflower oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- scant 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- a handful cilantro, chopped
Halve the cucumbers lengthwise, scrape out the seeds, and chop into pieces roughly the size of pencil erasers. Just before you’re ready to serve, transfer to a mixing bowl and toss gently with chiles, peanuts, coconut, lemon juice, and sugar.
Over medium heat melt the ghee in a small skillet. When hot stir in the mustard seeds. They are going to sputter and spit a bit, and when this starts to happen, add the cumin for 15-30 seconds, just long enough to toast the spices. Cover with a lid if needed. Remove from heat, stir in the salt, and immediately stir this into the salad. Turn out onto a patter topped with the cilantro. Serves 4.