Recipe from Words to Eat
Serves anywhere from 2 to 20, depending on how many you make and how you use them.
- Bell peppers-red, yellow, orange, green
- 1 clove garlic, slivered
- Olive oil
- Vinegar of your choice (such as red wine or balsamic)
- Fresh herb of your choice(basil, thyme, oregano, and parsley all work well)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
1. Turn on the broiler.
2. Line a jelly roll pan (or rimmed cookie sheet) with aluminum foil. Cut peppers in half and remove core, seeds, and membrane. Place peppers cut side down on the prepared pan and place as close to the fire as possible. Let them broil 5-10 minutes, until the skins are blistered and blackened-you may have to move them around a bit to expose all the sides. Remove from the broiler and put in a bowl; cover tightly with saran wrap or aluminum foil-the idea is to steam off the skins.
3. When they’re cool enough to handle, peel them one at a time over a bowl that has an air-tight lid-do it over the bowl to catch any juices. Slice the peeled halves and add them to the bowl. Add remaining ingredients, stir, and refrigerate for at least an hour and up to several days.