Adapted by Farmer Dave’s from Nourishing and Frugal
- 4 1/2 lbs. root vegetables (such as carrots, turnips, radishes, beets, sweet potatoes, parsnips, etc.)
- 6 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 large onion, cut into eights
- 1/4 cup melted butter or olive oil
- 2 quarts of chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 dashes of cayenne
- salt and pepper to taste
- paprika and/or fresh herbs for serving
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Trim, peel and chop the vegetables into 1-inch cubes. Place the vegetables, garlic and onion on a sheet pan and pour over the butter or oil. Toss the vegetables with the butter to coate evenly. Roast in the oven for 45-50 minutes, turning halfway through the cooking process.
Once the vegetables have browned well, take them out of the oven and transfer them to a soup pot. Add chicken stock, lemon juice and cayenne. Bring to a boil and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Blend soup using hand-held blender or in batches using your blender. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as needed. Serve with a sprinkling of paprika and/or fresh herbs of your choice. Enjoy!