Adapted by Farmer Dave’s from Cook’s Illustrated
- 3 medium tomatoes cored and cut into 1/2 inch pieces or 1 pint of cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cucumber, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (or fresh juice from 2 lemons)
- 6 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 tea cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- 1 cup feta cheese (optional)
- Toss tomatoes and 1/4 teaspoon salt in large bowl. Transfer to fine mesh strainer, set strainer in bowl and let stand for 30 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Rinse bulgur and place in a bowl. Stir in 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 2 tablespoons juice from draining tomatoes. Let stand until grains begin to soften, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Whisk remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice, olive oil, cayenne, and 1/4 teaspoon salt together in large bowl. Add drained tomatoes, cucumbers, soaked bulgur, parsley, mint and scallions; toss gently to combine. Cover and let stand at room temperature until flavors have blended and bulgur is tender, about 1 hour. Add feta if desired, toss to recombine, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve immediately.