from Karen in Jamaica Plain
- 4-6 large cucumbers, peeled
- 4-6 large kale leaves
- 1 quart of tomatoes, any variety
- 1 bunch of basil (the way Farmer Dave’s packs it)
- 1 head of garlic (use the whole head – don’t be shy, this is important)
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 3 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin or your choice of chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (adjust to taste)
- Wash your veggies well, as this is a raw recipe. Starting with cucumbers and about 3 teaspoons of water to get the blender going, put all ingredients into a heavy duty blender (like a Vita-Mix). You can do this in batches and mix it all in a larger container in the end if your blender is not large enough, but be sure to leave at least a cup of liquid each time so that new ingredients are easy to blend (especially because of the leafy greens). Blend until smooth.
- You can mix this up and keep it for 2 days (I have stretched it to three) in the refrigerator, though freshest is best, as there is no cooking involved. Experiment with the amounts of any one ingredient, though adding more cucumbers never hurts.