- 1 bunch collard greens, ribs removed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 4 pieces bacon, diced. (If you don’t eat pork, beef bacon works well but turkey bacon does not). If you want to get really hard core, use a ham hock instead.
- 3-4 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 diced onion
- 3-4 cups of chicken stock
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Molasses or brown sugar (optional)
- In a heavy bottomed pot cook bacon until the fat is rendered. Add onion, garlic and red pepper flakes until onion is translucent.
- Add collard greens and saute until greens are wilted. Cover with chicken stock and simmer over medium heat for 1-2 hours until greens are tender.
- Add cider vinegar, molasses or brown sugar if desired. Salt and pepper to taste.