- 1 large tomato, cored and chopped
- 1 scallion, trimmed and minced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, cored, seeded and minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chopped basil
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- salt and pepper
- Place all of the ingredients except the avocado in a bowl and stir to mix. Store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to use. (Up to two days)
- Right before serving mix add the avocado and mix gently.
Summer Corn Cake Ingredients:
- 3 ears of corn, husked
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1 tea baking powder (omit if using a cornbread mix)
- 1/2 tea baking soda (omit if using a cornbread mix)
- salt & pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 Tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Canola oil
Summer Corn Cake Directions:
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a brown paper bag.
- Cut the corn from the cobs into a large bowl, and scrape the stripped cobs with the back of the knife (or a spoon) to release the juices into the bowl.
- Place 2 cups of the corn kernels into a food processor, and pulse several times, until the corn is slightly pureed but still chunky. Scrape into the bowl with the remaining corn kernels.
- Add flour, cornmeal, onion, basil, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper to the corn. Stir to mix.
- Add the eggs, buttermilk and butter, and stir just to combine. (Do not overmix.)
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add just enough canola oil to barely cover the bottom, and heat until sizzling hot.
- One heaping tablespoon at a time, scoop the batter into the skillet. Cooking in batches of 4 to 5 to avoid overcrowding, fry the cakes 1 to 2 minutes per side, until golden brown.
- Drain on the lined baking sheet, and place in the oven to keep warm while cooking the remaining corn cakes. Serve warm topped with a heap of Chopped Tomato and Avocado Salsa.