Broccoli & Cheese Tart with Potato Crust
- 2 lb. Potatoes
- 1 Large Onion
- 2 Large eggs, slightly beaten
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 pound Broccoli or Cauliflower or Romanesco (cut into small florets)
- 2 baby leeks or 1 large leek (white part only), sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, grated or minced
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 cup dark beer or water
- more salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, minced fine
- 1 cup Cheddar, grated
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
1. Grease a 9″ glass pie pan and preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Grate onion and potatoes and drain them of most of their liquid in a colander. (The less liquid, the more crisp your crust will become).
3. Mix grated potatoes and onions with salt, pepper and 2 eggs.
4. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven, brush crust with a small amount of oil, and return to oven for another 15 minutes to become crispy.
5. In large, deep saucepan, heat oil. Add broccoli, leeks and garlic. Allow to sauté for about 5 minutes, then add in beer to deglaze pan. Continue to cook until broccoli just begins to soften. Remove from heat, stir in basil. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
6. In large bowl, mix remaining eggs, salt, pepper and buttermilk. Stir broccoli mix into eggs.
7. Time to finish this thing! Take your crust, layer on half your cheese, then pour the broccoli/egg mix in, then sprinkle on remaining cheese.
8. Bake in 375°F oven for 35-40 minutes.