Roasted Winter Vegetables with Cheesy Polenta
adapted by Farmer Dave’s from
- 4 cups cauliflower florets (or broccoli, romanesco, or brussels sprouts)
- 4 cups cubed peeled butternut squash, (or sweet potato, carrots, pumpkin or beets)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 2/3 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese, preferably Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Preheat oven to 500°F.
- Toss cauliflower, squash and onion in a large bowl with oil, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and salt. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast, stirring once, until tender and browned in spots, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine broth and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Slowly whisk in cornmeal, rosemary and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper until smooth. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until very thick and creamy, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in cheese; remove the polenta from the heat. Serve the vegetables over the polenta.