Chocolate Zucchini Cake
member submitted at the 2011 CSA Potluck, adapted from Bon Appetit
- 2 1/4 cup sifted all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (or 1/4 tablespoon white vinegar- add enough milk to make 1/2 cup)
- 2 cups grated unpeeled zucchini (about 2 1/2 medium)
- 1 6-ounce package (about 1 cup) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter and flour 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt into medium bowl. Beat sugar, butter and oil in a large bowl until well blended. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla extract. Mix in dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk in 3 additions each. Mix in grated zucchini. Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle chocolate chips and nuts over.
- Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Cool cake completely in pan.