German Potato Salad
Submitted by Yvonne in Dracut
- 5 pounds white potatoes, peeled.
- 1 lb bacon, fried and crumbled, reserve drippings
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cup each water, white vinegar and sugar
- Garlic salt to taste
- Onion powder to taste
- Parsley to taste
- Cook potatoes until firm. Allow to cool then slice or dice.
- Bring water, vinegar, sugar and bacon drippings to a boil. Thicken with a roux (flour and water) like gravy.
- Pour mixture over potatoes. Season to taste with garlic salt, onion powder and parsley. Stir in onion and bacon.
- Best if made 1-2 days ahead.