Mom’s Apple Cake
From Smitten Kitchen, recommended by the Burlington CSA pickup staff
- 6 apples, Mom uses McIntosh apples
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 3/4 cups flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a tube pan. Peel, core and chop apples into chunks. Toss with cinnamon and sugar and set aside.
- Stir together flour, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together oil, orange juice, sugar and vanilla. Mix wet ingredients into the dry ones, then add eggs, one at a time. Scrape down the bowl to ensure all ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour half of batter into prepared pan. Spread half of apples over it. Pour the remaining batter over the apples and arrange the remaining apples on top. Bake for about 1 1/2 hours, or until a tester comes out clean.