Roasted Spring Vegetables with Arugula Pesto
Adapted by Farmer Dave’s from Eating Well
- 4 cups potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 4 cups peeled carrots, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into thirds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup baby arugula for garnish
- 1 clove garlic
- 5 cups baby arugula
- 1/2 cup finely shredded asiago cheese
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (walnuts are also delicious)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- To prepare vegetables: Position rack in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 425°F.
- Toss potatoes with 2 teaspoons oil in a large bowl and spread on a large baking sheet. Roast in the lower third of the oven for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss carrots with 2 teaspoons oil in the bowl and spread on another large baking sheet. After the potatoes have roasted for 5 minutes, place the carrots in the upper third of the oven and roast potatoes and carrots for 15 minutes.
- Toss asparagus with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in the bowl. Add to the pan with the potatoes, toss to combine and return to the oven. Continue roasting until all the vegetables are tender and starting to brown, 8 to 10 minutes more.
- To prepare pesto: Meanwhile, drop garlic through the feed tube of food processor with the motor running; process until minced. Stop the machine and add arugula, cheese, pine nuts, 1/4 cup oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Pulse and then process, scraping down the sides as necessary, until the mixture is a smooth paste.
- Toss the roasted vegetables with 1/3 cup pesto and 1/2 teaspoon salt in the large bowl (reserve the remaining pesto for another use: refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze). Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with arugula, if desired.