Carrot Soup with Ginger & Lemon
I love carrot soups. They’re simple to make, a beautiful color and delicious. This one is from Epicurious.com
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/4 pounds medium carrots, peeled, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 2 tomatoes, seeded, chopped (about 1 1/3 cups)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 3 cups (or more) chicken stock or canned low-salt broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 small carrot, peeled, grated
- Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 4 minutes. Add ginger and garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Add chopped carrots, tomatoes and lemon peel; sauté 1 minute. Add 3 cups stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover partially and simmer until carrots are very tender, about 20 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Puree soup in batches in blender. Return soup to pot. Mix in lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.)
- Bring soup to simmer, thinning with more stock, if desired. Ladle into bowls. Top each with sour cream and grated carrot.