Salad alternatives for lettuce!
I look forward to spring salads most of the year. I love the tender lettuce leaves and baby brassicas in the spring mixes. But as much as I love spring salads having one every day can become a bit tedious even for the most die-hard herbivore.
With that in mind here are eight ways to enjoy the CSA lettuce bounty that aren’t salads.
Non-Salad Lettuce Recipe Ideas:
- Try it as a pizza topping like on this Grilled BLT pizza
- Fresh peas and lettuce. I’m holding onto this one until June when the peas and garlic scapes will be fresh and abundant but I imagine it would be equally amazing with frozen peas and a bunch of ramps if you can score some.
- I’ll admit that I’ve always been skeptical of Lettuce Soup but I tried this recipe by Emeril Lagasse this week and I’m a total convert.
- Lettuce Sauce. I was equally thrilled with this recipe. It’s like a bright, springtime pesto. Use it as a topping for smoked salmon or left over chilled chicken.
- Don’t forget about breakfast! Here are 70 recipes for Green Smoothies!
- Use as a filling for Popiah Rolls. (Like a spring roll but not fried)
- Add it to a quiche or fritatta