- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and chopped (or 2-3 bunches of baby fennel)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 bunches mixed chopped leafy greens (Such as swiss chard, kale, beet greens, etc.)
- 6 cups water or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Heat oil and butter in a heavy pot over medium heat until foam subsides. Add fennel, onion, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally until softened and lightly browned, 7-8 minutes.
- Add leafy greens and water to pot and simmer, covered until greens are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Carefully puree soup in batches in a blender until smooth, then return to pot. Stir in cream and lemon juice and reheat over low heat. Season with salt to taste.