Apple Onion and Leek Mac and Cheese
Original Recipe by Kristen Gallagher, Wakefield MA (Reading pick up)
Made by Kristen G. for the 2014 CSA Member Appreciation Potluck
- 1 box pasta shells or elbow macaroni
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 large apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 large onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 3 cups shredded cheddar (1 used a combination of Cabot seriously sharp and NY sharp)
- In a large skillet, melt 2 Tablespoons over medium-high heat. Add apples, onions and leek. Cook for 15-20 minutes until apples are soft and onions and leeks are golden brown. Set aside.
- Meanwhile cook pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking make cheese sauce. In a large saucepan melt remaining 2 Tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add flour to make a roux. Add can of milk and bring to a slow boil, stirring constantly. Add cheese and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Drain pasta and add to cheese sauce. Mix together.
- Spread macaroni and cheese in a large baking dish. Top with apple, onion and leek mixture. Bake at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes.
Serves 8-10 as a side, 4-6 as a main dish and 1 for a hungry dinosaur.