Apple Upside Down Cake
Made by Sarah B. for the 2014 CSA Member Appreciation Potluck
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 cups apple slices
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1/3 cup cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 Tablespoons softened butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 egg whites
- Coat cake pan with cooking spray
- Combine sugar and water in sauce pan and heat over medium high heat. Stir gently to dissolve sugar. Once dissolved cook without stirring until golden, about 4 minutes. Immediately pour into cake pan to coat bottom.
- Arrange apple slices in bottom of pan and sprinkle with nuts. Set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat sugar and butter until fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Add flour mix and milk alternately.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into cake mix.
- Gently spread cake batter into pan over apples.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
- Let cool on wire rack about 5 minutes. Loosen edges with a knife and invert onto a serving plate.