- 4 to 5 oz. bacon (thick or thinly sliced), cut cross-wise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 T. butter
- 1 c. thinly sliced onions or scallions
- 2 t. roughly chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 c. freshly cut corn (from about 2 ears) plus scrapings
- 1/2 small green cabbage (about 1 lb.), quartered, cored and thinly sliced cross-wise
- 2 to 3 T. minced Italian flat-leaf parsley
Render bacon until crisp over medium to medium-low heat. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a plate. Add a tablespoon of butter to the pan and increase the heat to medium. When the butter foams, add the onions, thyme and a good pinch of salt and some freshly ground pepper. Sweat until the onions are tender and translucent-3 to 5 minutes. Add the corn and cook until the corn is sizzling, stirring occasionally-about 3 minutes.