Adapted by Farmer Dave’s from Real Simple
- 1 pound orecchiette or other pasta shape of your choice
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe (or use other greens such as mustard, swiss chard or kale)
- 4 Tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup grated Parmesan (4oz)
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and return to pot
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking apart with a spoon until it’s no longer pink, 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add the broth and red pepper and bring to a boil. Add the broccoli rabe and simmer, covered, until tender, 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the butter and parmesan and cook, uncovered, until the sauce thickens slightly, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Toss the pasta with sausage mixture and 1/4 each salt and pepper.