Adapted by Farmer Dave’s from Gluten Free Goddess
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1-pound head of green cabbage, cored and sliced thin
- 4 medium gold or white potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 sausages or brats
- 4 cups light gluten-free broth
- 1 cup of gluten-free lager or ale- optional
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds- crush them if you like
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 pinch raw sugar
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat and add the onion; stir for five minutes or so. Add the garlic and cabbage and stir together; cook until the cabbage has wilted. Add the potatoes, carrots and sausages. Stir. Season with caraway, parsley, sea salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Pour in the broth and gluten-free beer; stir together. Cover and bring to a high simmer; then lower the heat a bit and simmer until the vegetables are fork tender- about 45 minutes.
- At this point I like to add a touch of cider vinegar and a pinch of raw sugar to liven things up. As always, taste the soup and season to keep your own palate happy.