By Farmer Dave’s. This is a basic recipe that makes a great side dish. Add white beans, sausage and/or cooked pasta to make a complete meal. The anchovy paste is optional according to your taste. Ginger finds that the anchovy flavor counteracts the occasional bitterness found in broccoli rabe. Give your raw rabe a nibble. If it’s not too bitter or you prefer bitter greens, you can skip the blanching step.
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 onion, sliced into thin strips
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Anchovy paste
- 1 teaspoon Crushed red pepper (or to taste)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Add broccoli rabe to a pot of boiling salted water. After 3-4 minutes, drain thoroughly and set to the side.
- Heat oil in a heavy saute pan. Add onion and saute until onions are slightly caramelized. Add a 1-2 inch ribbon of anchovy paste (if desired), garlic and crushed red pepper and saute for a minute or two until fragrant.
- Add drained broccoli rabe and saute until tender and wilted.
- Remove from heat and stir in parmesan until incorporated.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with more grated parmesan and freshly ground pepper.