by Ginger from Farmer Dave’s
Great first course for a crowd. Make ahead and reheat in the crock pot.
- 1 Butternut Squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 stick butter
- 2 small onions, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 32 oz chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Melt butter in heavy stockpot over medium-high heat. Saute onion until translucent. Add garlic, ginger and nutmeg. Saute a minute or so until fragarant.
- Add butternut squash and chicken stock. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer. Cook until butternut is tender and can be broken apart with a fork, about 30 minutes.
- Allow soup to cool. Blend until smooth with an immersion blender or in a blender in batches. Add more chicken stock to reach desired consistency.