Adapted by Farmer Dave’s from Food Network.
- 1 cup Pearled Barley
- 2 cups tomato, seeded, diced and drained
- 1 slicing or 2 pickling cucumbers, peeled and chopped
- 1-2 red or orange peppers, diced
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 3 Tablespoons (1 bunch) fresh chopped mint
- 1 small fresh onion, finely diced
- 3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the barley, 3 cups water and a pinch salt in a medium-size saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer until the barley is tender, about 45 minutes. Drain in a colander and let cool.
- Combine tomatoes, cucumber, pepper, feta cheese, olives, mint and onion in a large bowl. Add cooled barley.
- In a small bowl whisk together red wine vinegar and olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Dress salad and toss to combine. Cover and place in refrigerator until ready to serve. Best made 3 hours ahead. Even better the next day.