Adapted by Farmer Dave’s from The Kitchn
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 1 large sweet potato (about 3/4 to 1 pound), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary, sage, parsley, oregano (or use 1 teaspoon dried herbs)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 bag baby spinach, or 1 bunch arugula, kale or swiss chard, rinsed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 (12-ounce) bag frozen cheese tortellini
Heat the oil or butter in a heavy-bottomed 10- or 12-inch skillet over medium heat.
Stir in the sweet potato cubes, herbs, salt, and pepper. Cover the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are just starting to soften.
Uncover the skillet and add the broth, scraping the bottom of the pan with a spatula to dissolve the browned bits. Add the spinach in handfuls, stirring until it wilts down, before adding more.
Stir in the half-and-half, then cover once more and bring the liquid to a simmer.
Uncover and stir in the tortellini. Cook, stirring frequently, for 10 to 15 minutes, until the tortellini are plump and cooked through.