- 1 tablespoon oil, olive
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon basil, fresh, or 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 4 cups kale, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cooked turkey breast, cubed
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cups red lentils
1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add onion, carrots, and garlic. Cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are nearly tender, stirring occasionally.
2. Add broth and dried basil (if using) to vegetable mixture. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in kale, salt, and pepper. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Stir in cooked turkey, tomato, red lentils, and fresh basil (if using). Cover and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes more or until kale and lentils are tender.