From Farmer Dave’s
- 1 large winter squash (butternut, buttercup, etc.) or 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into rounds
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cups red lentils, washed and sorted
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fresh chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Brown rice (optional)
1) In a large pot, saute onion in olive oil until translucent. Add butternut and carrots and cook for about 5 minutes until beginning to soften. Add curry powder, turmeric and optional cayenne pepper and toast for about 1 minute until fragrant. Add lentils, chickpeas, salt and coconut milk. Cover with water (approximately 5 cups). Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer and cook, covered, until the squash is tender and the lentils are broken down.
2) Serve over brown rice or quinoa if desired. Top with fresh chopped cilantro.